(NC) With sweet-tart berries, notes of floral hibiscus and Mojito influences of mint and lime, this bubbly kombucha-based mocktail is a refreshing summer sipper. It uses unrefined Demerara sugar rather than white for its richness and molasses-like finish, sure to quench your thirst as the weather warms up.
“If using berries that are more sour than sweet, stir in a few drops of honey to help balance out the tartness,” suggests Michelle Pennock, executive dhef for the President’s Choice Test Kitchen.
Berry Kombucha “Fauxito” Mocktail
Prep time: 10 Minutes
Ready in: 10 Minutes
- 3 each fresh blackberries and raspberries, plus additional for garnish
- 10 fresh mint leaves
- 2 tsp (10 mL) packed Demerara sugar
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup (50 mL) coconut water not from concentrate
- ½ cup (125 mL) PC Organics Raspberry Hibiscus Kombucha
- 1 cup (250 mL) ice cubes
- 1 sprig fresh mint, for garnish
- Place blackberries and raspberries in highball glass. Add five mint leaves and sugar; muddle with muddler or handle of wooden spoon until mint is bruised and fragrant and berries are mashed.
- Pour in lime juice, coconut water and kombucha. Stir in ice cubes and remaining five mint leaves.
- Garnish with additional berries and mint sprig.
Chef’s tip: To turn this mocktail into a cocktail, substitute coconut water with white rum.
Nutritional information per serving: calories 90, fat 0 g, sodium 20 mg, carbohydrates 21 g, fibre 3 g, sugars 15 g, protein 1 g.